Friday, March 22, 2019

What - or who - is standing in your way?

Over the years I've spent a lot of time telling my kids they could do or be whatever they want. That ultimately the people who want something bad enough - make it happen.  I've been a firm believer of that too!

So I guess the title is a little misleading.

Last year about this time I had an epiphany.  I realized that I was my own worst enemy.  I was the person holding me back and standing in my way.  While life circumstances certainly contribute, I was the only reason I had not completed my bachelors degree.  So, I went online and researched, found a school I could afford and now I'm about done with year 1 of 2 years to complete an Accounting degree.  Because I decided to not just go for 1 to 1/2 years and complete the management degree, but to go and complete the Accounting degree that I always said I wish I had, but never got.

It's tough.  A lot tougher than I expected.  I didn't realize how much my reading comprehension issues played a part in my quitting school the first time. I've struggled with every class, but with every class I gain confidence too.  In the process I also received a bump at work, where they recognized I can do more and they are letting me, so I am truly a manager, even hired my first employee - start to finish, by myself!  I think that has a lot to do with me going back to school for my bachelors degree and having more confidence in who I am.

It's hard to explain, but I'll try.

Basically - once I let go of all my inner reasons (some valid, some excuses) to not pursue my degree it was like I broke down this wall of inferiority and I pushed through holding onto my lack of self confidence as a security blanket.  To achieve a degree and essentially learn how to learn again - at 45 - well, there is no room for "I can't or what ifs".  I have to channel my inner yoda and "do or do not".

If anyone reading this is considering what's next in their life (which I seem to find we have crossroads more frequently than most would like to admit) and you're not sure if you should take the leap,  I ask - who or what is standing in your way?

If you're a couple, you may have to do some decision making processes together.  I had to acknowledge that our home life would change and I couldn't do FT work, school, and household management.  Thankfully I had a husband who supported me and was in a place in his life that he could rearrange things and take on cooking, grocery store runs, and managing the cleaning so I can have study time carved out and we can still have some down time too.  I'm getting the degree, but I couldn't have done this without his support.  He helped me remove some of the things that were standing in my way, once I was able to identify what they were.

If you're reading this, know that anything you want you can achieve, you just have to find your path to it.  Sometimes it is a paved path (right out of high school continuing to college); sometimes a dirt path just off a bit; and sometimes you're in the middle of the forest hoping you're heading the right direction from what little sun you can catch through the trees.  It maybe hard, but sometimes the things we need to do are.

At some point your lack of choosing becomes your choice.

1 comment:

shakedust said...

That's awesome that you're getting your degree! Accounting isn't easy.

It's exciting to be able to see how growing in one area of life benefits you in others as well.