Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Home - Where Home Never Was

Chandler recently had a paper he wrote about "home".  He took the perspective that "home" to him is not a place he has ever lived, but it is the farm, where I grew up that he knows as "the farm".  I am glad that he has a connection and draw to the land and I really enjoyed reading his paper and the memories he has both with my parents and just through experiences he was able to have because of the land.  He talked about riding the 4 wheeler and bycycle trips and exploring the entire farm, that seems to go on forever!

I know that my kids don't have a "homestead".  They don't have a childhood home that they will return too with their children in tow, where mom and dad have always been and will always be, but I'm glad that even though they don't have that, they have an idea of that through the place where I grew up.

In a different talk all together, Chandler said he would rather go on a vacation with Chad and I to KC/Springfield and do a "trip down memory lane" than a theme park vacation.  I guess even though you can never go back once you leave a place a part of it always stays with you.  That is how I feel about Indiana, Springfield, and Overland Park.  I don't know if Michigan is a "for now" or "forever" place for us, but it definately has made its mark also!  I'm very thankful that while for Chandler Home is where Home never was, for me - Home is everywhere I've been.  It moves with me and so do the people.  Each place has special memories and each person who touched my life and changed me gets to change others in locations they may never go, with people they will most likly never meet!

Home - where it continues with  me.

1 comment:

shakedust said...

I think I agree. Memory lane vacations can be more enjoyable than traditional ones. Creating memories is fun too!