FROM AUGUST 28, 2025.... NOT POSTED UNTIL 1/3/2026. ... originally written in the spring of 2020.
This post is from 5 1/2 year ago. 2 1/2 years prior to Chad's diagnosis and a few months before my dad passed away.
____________
My dad has cancer (again). He was cancer-free for about a year and he's back in chemo. I don't live close so I don't have a first or even a strong second-hand view up close of what this is like for him.
My admiration during this time goes to my mom. She and I, well we don't agree on a lot of things. I seem to bring out something in her that has a layer of anger always on simmer. We are a lot a like, and maybe that is part of it too.
Even with our differences and struggles, I don't doubt her love. I do think she doesn't like me much - sometimes. But I believe she loves me. I love her too. We recently had a pretty emotional crap storm moment. At the end, she said "we just move forward like this never happened". For her and I that is the best solution because we can't reason things out and come to a consensus. At least not on some things.
But that isn't what I wanted to blog about tonight. I wanted to say that as my dad battles cancer, I'm glad he's not a lone and I recognize that they are doing this battle together. My mom cared for him the last time and she's doing it again. I admire her drive. My mom is a get it done person. A take care of it now person. She does that to the detriment of her own health at times.
I pray for God to give her strength and rest. I am glad that God has blessed my mom with my dad and my dad with my mom.
_____________
-- Again, I didn't post it at that time. But in reading it tonight. I was struck with how through this time with Chad, how many times I have thought of my mom and how she cared for my dad. How he was never a lone and how she anticipated his needs. I have to say, while I would never pretend to be "Sherry" level care giver. I am thankful that I had a role model like her in my life and I'm thankful for the "Sherry" dna that is getting me through this.
I will also say that God has blessed me with an improved relationship with my mom. Tonight I am Thankful for growth in both myself and others.
No comments:
Post a Comment