Tuesday, January 09, 2018

Seasons of life - changes - and other random thoughts

I'm getting ready to make another change.  I have decided to leave my current job and move to a small company.  Ultimately the decision was made because I am tired of working with someone who always brings me down.  I need to happier people in my life and people who aren't always trying to make my life difficult. 

So - I found a new job.

Chandler is finishing his last semester of high school.  He is also completing year 1 of his Associates Degree.  He is still living at home and while we're close to being an empty nest - we're not there yet. 

Life Group/Sunday School/Workers - again

Chad and I are officially in ministry again.  We're on the prayer team (yes, that team that only old people are invited to join!) :)  We're also starting a Life Group.  It's specifically a "part 2" of a group called Starting Point.  Starting Point is a class that our church offers and they use Andy Stanley curriculum.  It is great for new Christians, but I'm excietd because it also lights a fire and brings back excitement for us older Christians too!  The program that Chad and I will be doing starting next quarter is called Sharing Point.  It takes a video clips from the Bible Project and gives the class opportunity to learn more Bible while emphasizing the importance of iron sharpening iron.  The concept is to take the newer believers and Christians who want to grow more to a new level without throwing them into the deep end off the high dive before they've had a swimming lesson! :)  It was birthed out of a passion for discipleship for Christians who don't have Sunday School as an option and who aren't familiar with life groups and don't have a comfort level with them yet.  Basically, the idea is to make sure that for 8 weeks the people who finished Starting Point have another place to meet, continue to grow and a step to learn about how Life Groups work and become comfortable with participating in them. 

Timing is everything.  I'm trusting God with my new job, for my replacement in the old job, for guidance and wisdom in the new group and I'm looking forward to a new year. 

I am also 75% sure that in April I will go back to school and start working on an Accounting degree, at least that is the current plan. 

I need to make changes in health too - as usual.  I still have no clue what or how to do that.   But I see God's hand at work in so many things in my life.  In every aspect.  This past year, with the exeption of Student Loans we became debt free.  That was not easy.  We worked really hard for several years to pay off debt.  If only I could apply that same discipline to my eating and exercise habits. 

Maybe I will. 

Guess that's all for now.  Thanks for reading!  :) Goodnight. 

2 comments:

shakedust said...

Wow, there's a lot going on for you and your family!

Who you work with matters a lot, so that career move sounds good. I've been at the same place now almost fifteen years, and a huge part of that is who I work for. There have been a few times I considered going elsewhere, but having an environment that you're comfortable in (and that provides decent health insurance) is a big deal.

I hope all is well in school with Chandler!

Being where you're supposed to be in ministry can be exhausting and fulfilling.

Going back to school as an adult is exciting and scary at the same time.

I'm with you on the health changes. I have tweaked my diet quite a bit and am exercising more because the doctor told me we needed to start considering statins for my cholesterol. I think one of the failings of the U.S. healthcare system is that it doesn't provide people good strategies to address cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc other than drugs.

No pressure at all to use this, but one of my routines now is to watch videos from nutritionfacts.org to help me understand the best things to eat. I find out at the end of the month whether doing this has affected my cholesterol at all. I'm finding that changing my diet is far easier than sticking with my exercise routine.

Debt free (other than student loans)?! That's awesome! It had to have taken a lot of work. Congrats!

We miss you guys! I hope all continues to go well.

GoldenSunrise said...

Hi! Congrats on this new job! Will pray that the people will be great to work with. Wow! Chandler is a senior and congrats to him for working on his associates. So exciting to hear that you both are in ministry again! That Bible Project sounds interesting! Drew is redoing the Hard Sayings of Jesus because the people are new. Glad to get an update on you! I will post a blog too, soon.